The participation of the candidate of the Rassemblement Des Républicains (RDR), Dr Alassane Dramane Ouattara, in the second round of presidential elections in Côte d’Ivoire, is a great chance for us to end in this country decades of human rights violations and undermining of the principles of democracy, seriously jeopardizing the development of Cote d’Ivoire.
That is why the Africa Liberal Network (ALN):
· Affirms its support for the candidate Dr Alassane Dramane Ouattara.
· Congratulates political parties which are members of RHDP for their decision to support Dr. Alassane Dramane Ouattara
· Calls all liberals and democrats from Côte d’Ivoire, Africa and Liberal International, to give him their continued support for the triumph of democracy and justice so that Côte d’Ivoire can escape this vicious circle of instability and once again begin to develop.
• Demands the Independent Electoral Commission, and Presidential candidate Laurent Gbagbo, to organise a transparent second round, scheduled in accordance with democratic rules, and the date due.
· Calls for the African Union and the international community to fully play their role in monitoring so that the verdict of the ballot box is respected and remains the emanation of the will of the people of Cote d’Ivoire.
Cape Town, 13 November 2010