We, Leaders of the African Liberal Parties, members of the Africa Liberal Network, in a General Assembly from 11-13 November 2010 in Cape Town, in South Africa, call upon the international community and Friends Liberals in the World concerning the situation which prevails in Madagascar:
ALN condemns Andry RAJOELINA’s refusal to implement the political agreements signed by the four Heads of Political Groups by:
In spite of the confirmation by the International Community (UNO, ICG-M, EU, AU, OIF, SADC, etc.) of an unconstitutional change of government and their recommendation to return as soon as possible in a consensual and inclusive way the constitutional order, the de facto power continues in an unilateral way. It plans to organize a referendum on 17th November 2010 to vote a Constitution which suits Mr Andry RAJOELINA’s ambition and plan anticipated communal elections on 20th December 2010. This continues the spirit of the coup for a disguised dismissal of the Mayors which were elected by general election while being unaware of the international sanctions and holding as an hostage the whole population which are the first victims of these sanctions (unemployment, under-employment, inflation, family division).
In order to support the search for a Malagasy-Madagascan solution, the Alliance of the Civil Society Organizations, the Coalition of the Civil Society Organizations and the KMF/CNOE (a national organization of elections observers) have by mutual agreement instituted the National Coordination of the Civil Society Organizations (CNOSC), a structure which obtained the support of the International Community to ensure the facilitation in support to the SADC mediation team chaired by Former President of Mozambique, Mr Joaquim CHISSANO but the de facto authorities always adopt an unilateral step and an accomplished fact strategy in the appointment of the members of the institutions set by the Charter of Maputo (Parliament, CENI)
ALN condemns the disregard of Human rights and freedom:
The freedom of speech does not exist anymore. Police force is used, with political objectives, to prohibit those who persist to express their opinion. Obvious problems are:
– the monopoly of the public media by the partisans of the HAT led by Mr Andry RAJOELINA.
– the prohibition or the complication of the administrative formalities to organize public meetings.
– difficulties for obtaining the authorization to organize a worship for the country.
– the closing of the medias not sharing the point of view of the HAT.
– the arbitrary arrest of the political Leaders of Ravalomanana Political Group on 11th November 2010 to have organized a demonstration authorized beforehand by the municipality at MALACAM stadium and the powerful repression of the demonstrators in full period of propaganda for the referendum of 17th November 2010.
– Terror and death threats against church leaders followed by members of the armed police force for three months following the worship of 20 May 2010 which obliges the members of their family to leave their homes.
Finally ALN condemns the lack of consideration of the political prisoners 2009-2010.
There is no consideration for the hunger strikers, even for those which are sick. Some prisoners which were released were quickly put in jail again, following invention of new accusations.
So, we challenge the International Community, the countries friends and partners of Madagascar and all the Liberals of the world to assume their responsibility so that the de facto power ceases this practice which is unworthy of the 21st Century, since Madagascar signed various International Conventions on the defense of Human rights and freedom.