The 188th Liberal International Executive Committee:
• condemns in the strongest possible terms the unconstitutional seizure of power in Mali by members of the armed forces on 22 March 2012.
• stresses that the coup d’état threatens the national unity and further risks undermining the democratic culture which has evolved in Mali over the past two decades
• supports the statements of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) and African Union (AU) and joins their calls for restoration of the constitution
• regrets the severity of the Tuareg rebellion in the North, especially the migratory pressures and influx of arms following the conflict in Libya
• pledges solidarity with liberal and democratic forces in Mali and calls for the restoration of fundamental freedoms for the Malian people
• calls for suspension of Mali from ECOWAS and AU, as well as for all international development aid, until democracy is restored
• calls for the coup leaders to immediately return to their barracks, and ensure a peaceful transfer of power to a transitional civilian authority tasked with restoring the status quo ante and holding the presidential and legislative elections, scheduled for April and June respectively, as soon as possible